Donated New and Like New Clothing
Adoptive and Foster Families of Maine, Inc. is pleased to assist resource families in finding clothing, household goods, and other various items. AFFM’s Bangor and Saco offices have resource rooms open to all foster, adoptive, and kinship families in need.
Simply call 207-827-2331 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and make your request. If AFFM does not have your requested item, they will utilize their social media, e-mail listserve, and other community partners in an effort to meet your needs.
Join us on the AFFM Swap Facebook Group – a place for families to communicate available and needed resources.
AFFM accepts donations of new twin beds and like-new dressers along with new and like-new clothing and furniture. If you wish to donate material goods please follow the guidelines shown below.
Another way to donate to help meet the immediate needs of families AFFM serves would be to visit our Amazon Wishlist. The Amazon page has specific items that can be ordered, and they will be delivered directly to AFFM’s Bangor address. You can also donate here at our GoFundME.
Please read below or click on the link for more information about the kinds of martial goods AFFM can and can not accept. Thank you!
Click here to view AFFM’s Donation Guidelines for Material Goods
Donation Guidelines for Material Goods
What We CAN Accept:
- Kids clothing, boys & girls size infant to teen in clean, good wearable condition
- All sizes & gender of shoes in clean, good wearable condition
- New in package undergarments, socks, diapers, and baby wipes
- New or like-new winter clothing, jackets, snow pants, boots in clean, good wearable condition
- New bedding
- New toys and gifts for our gift-giving program
- New backpacks and school supplies
What We CAN NOT Accept:
- Used undergarments or socks
- Clothing that is faded, pilling, torn, smoky, stained, smelly, moldy or inappropriate
- Used bedding
- Used Stuffed Animals & Used Toys
- Used Car seats or booster seats
- Used Cribs, Beds, pack and plays or mattress
- Used Household Items (dishes, paintings, kitchen appliances, cookware, etc)
- Formula or open packages of diapers
- Used Suitcases or Other Luggage
Please take the time to wash and thoughtfully sort through your donations. Otherwise, volunteers end up taking a significant amount of time sorting and throwing out unusable items; that is no fun and a bit disheartening to volunteers that spend countless hours sorting.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SORT THOUGHTFULLY
- Wash everything before donating. Most of the people we give to do not have easy access to laundry.
- Sort and label into smaller bags. No big black trash bags!
- Wait to donate Summer items until April and don’t bring Winter gear until October.
- Always reference the donation list. Sometimes we are very full on certain things one week but can take them the next!
AFFM accepts donations by appointment only, please call us to schedule a drop-off appointment at 207-827-2331. Due to lack of storage space, we may be limited in what sizes we are able to accept due to what current needs are. Please, when dropping off your donations, ONLY bring what was discussed when you made the appointment. AFFM does have a Private Facebook Group, “AFFM Swap Only” where items (such as cribs, beds, baby furniture, and toys) can be shared for home-to-home donations. Any donations that are left outside anonymously will be discarded for safety precautions.
Thank you for all the lovingly sorted and washed donations you bring to us, we are doing our best to make sure they reach children in care.
Thank you, we greatly appreciate your support!